DJ contract can be used to formalize the business relationship between a DJ performer and the client hiring the DJ performer. Either party may refer to the contract in case disagreements arise.
Check below to familiarize yourself with everything needed to know about the DJ contract. Want to personalize your DJ contract? Find the expert-drafted DJ contract template available at CocoSign for free download with a single click!
Part 1: What Is A DJ Contract?
A DJ contract is a legally binding document signed between the DJ and the client commissioning the services of the DJ, concerning event details, payment information, cancellation policies, and expectations for both parties.
A DJ contract, as one type of service contract, states the terms under which the DJ will be providing musical services to the client at the stated location. It is created so as to protect the DJ’s rights to be paid and to make sure that the client gets the services they are paying for.
A DJ contract is also commonly known as DJ contract agreement, DJ services contract, and Contract for DJ.
Part 2: What is included in a DJ Contract?
A DJ contract usually includes:
Names of DJ and the Client:
A DJ contract shall identify the parties making the contract (the DJ and the client).
Date and Venue:
The details of the venue include the venue address along with the date and time for which the DJ will be performing, as well as performance duration.
Payments and Deposits:
The DJ contract shall include the payment that is due towards the DJ from the client’s end for the services the DJ provides. It shall state advance deposits clearly If there is any.
Cancellation policy in the DJ contract is essential, which is supposed to define the penalties for either party if it cancels out of the event. For example, the DJ contract may stipulate that in case the client cancels on his or her end, the deposit will may not be refunded to the client.
List of Equipment:
The DJ contract may optionally list the equipment that the DJ is supposed to bring with him or her and the equipment that will be provided by the venue.
Benefits to the DJ:
The DJ contract may list any additional benefits that will be provided to the DJ by the client (such as meals, dressing room, drinks, etc.).
There can be many other inclusions based on the DJ’s and the client’s preferences, such as the list of the songs that the DJ will be playing, event schedule.
Part 3: Why Is A DJ Contract Important?
DJ contracts are created to protect the rights and interests of both the DJ and the clien.
- A DJ contract reduces disagreements by laying out all the clauses in clear writing.
- Both- the DJ and the client may add any clauses as per their requirement.
- For the client, a DJ contract ensures that the DJ will be providing their services at the venue on the selected date and time. This implies the non-compete clause, which means that the DJ cannot book any other client for the aforementioned date and time.
- The DJ contract ensures that the DJ will be paid on time for his or her services. Artists often complain about payments not being made after the completion of services.
- A DJ contract allows the DJ to charge for any service out of the service scope listed in the agreement. Furthermore, it may list the procedures to make out of scope service requests (at extra costs), giving more freedom to the client.
Part 4: When is a DJ Contract Needed?
A DJ contract is needed whenever a DJ performer provides his or her services at an event. You may need a DJ contract in one of the following scenarios:
- You are a DJ about to provide services for clients
- You are a client who wants to hire DJ services
- You are an event planner or a venue booking agent in need of DJ services
- You manage a DJ business and you need a DJ contract for your clients
In most cases, the terms and the design of the DJ agreement are more or less the same. The important thing to remember is that the DJ agreement should be written properly to be legally enforceable.
Can’t wait to write your own DJ contract?
Browse through CocoSign’s contract templates for your particular needs and download the one that suits you.
CocoSign represents a wide collection of legal templates covering all types of leases, contracts and agreements for personal and commercial use. All legal templates available on CocoSign shall not be considered as attorney-client advice. Meanwhile CocoSign shall not be responsible for the examination or evaluation of reviews, recommendations, services etc posted by parties other than CocoSign itself on its platform.