Electronic Signature VS. Digital Signature
What is electronic signature?
Basically, eSignature is a signature in electronic form with the same legal effect as a wet signature but of higher security and efficiency. When the signer esigns a document, the signature is generated by the signer’s private key marked with the time that the document is signed. Any alteration made on the document after signing will invalidate the electronic signature.
What is digital signature?
As an unique type of eSignature, a digital signature utilizes certificate-based digital IDs from trust service providers and validates the signing activity with various encryptions. It is often used for highly risky transactions. When assurance and authenticity are put on top priority, digital signature must be the first choice.
Differences between Electronic Signature and Digital Signature
|Electronic Signature||Digital Signature|
|Purpose||Used to verify a document||Used to verify a document|
|Document Processing Platform||Basic electronic signature;|
Advanced electronic signature;
|Using Microsoft and Adobe PDF only|
|Regulation||National acts and regulations||Certificate Authorities (CAs)|
|Authorisation||Specific vendors, document creator or the participating parties||Government or non-government certification provider authorities|
|Security||Less security features||More security features|
|Definition||Generic expression and much broader regarding electronic data||Signature with public-key based cryptography|
|Tampering||Vulnerable to tampering||Tamper-proof|
|Standardization||No coding or standards corporated||Advanced form of standardization (PKI)|
How to Create an Electronic Signature
Click Profile in Account and you can see Signature & Initials.
Click Add Signature in blue. There are three ways available to input your signatures.
Click Type to enter your name with your preferred front and save.
Click Draw to draw your signature with a mouse, touchpad, phone, tablet, or other digital devices and customize it with a front and color that you like.
Click to Upload a scanned copy of your readymade signature.
Benefits of Using an Electronic Signature
- Easy and efficient
- Cocosign offers online signing solutions for SMBs and professionals with its easy-to-use systems and highly efficient features. With detailed onboarding guidelines, you can always find a way to sign with our tools quickly.
- Legal and secure
- CocoSign assures that all its eSignatures comply with eSignature laws. All esigned documents are legally valid just like handwritten notes. Coded by AES - 256 bit encryption technology, data is stored in AWS without any possibility for data breach.
- Cost-saving and easy-to-manage
- You can save money with electronic signatures by reducing the process of printing, storage and checking of paper documents.The Audit Trail and History in the dashboard clearly records every move which can help you manage the signing process easily .
How to Create a Digital Signature
Go to our digital signature generator page.
Upload files in PDF, PNG, JPG, DOC, XLS to be signed.
Select and drop fields from the toolbar on the right onto the document.
Benefits of Using a Digital Signature
- Encrypted and secure
- With an advanced form of standardization(PKI), digital signatures encrypted your document in a tamper-forbidden way.
- Unique and trusted
- Digital certificates and PIN are necessary for digital signatures. Given a certificate-based digital ID, you’re able to create secure and authenticable digital signatures.
- Valid and enforceable
- Conforming to regulations like the eIDAS for the European Union, digital signatures are legally binding without any dispute. The Audit and Trail History in Document clearly records every detail of the documents from being sent to finished which can be presented as evidence in court.
Is it secure to use electronic signatures to sign documents?
With a bank-level security standard, CocoSign ensures that no information leakage will happen to your account. We have a series of measures to guarantee that you work safely:
- All data at rest is reserved in AWS. Acting as a WAF, CloudFlare protects CDN safe and sound from cyber attacks such as DDos.
- Users are only allowed to access their own account. TLS/HTTPS ensure that no third-party can steal the encrypted information except for the sender and receiver.
- Documents are protected by the AES - 256 bit encryption and stored in AWS S3 which means access can only be gained through approved links without any risk of data breach.
- Access to server and data is strictly controlled by CocoSign to make sure that no staff from our company will steal the data.
CocoSign Electronic and Digital Signature FAQ
What is a simple electronic signature?
Electronic signature refers to signing documents online. It’s a digital form of signatures compared to wet signatures. With a high level of security, legal effect, and easy handling, electronic signature has been widely accepted.
How to create an electronic signature?
Get into Profile in Account, and click Add Signature. Then you can choose to Type or Draw or Upload your signature
Which is better, e-signature or digital signature?
It depends on what you require for the signature. Digital signatures are more secure but harder to obtain. They are preferred for the transactions that require higher levels of security, such as the ones in government and healthcare sectors. Electronic signatures, on the other hand, are easier to create. Less secure as they are, they still offer sufficient protection features and are legally valid in most cases. So if you’re not looking for top-level encryption and authentication, it would be more convenient for you to use an e-signature.
Can someone steal your electronic signature?
It’s impossible. CocoSign adopts CloudFlare to protect the CDN which means you can always sign without any fear of duplication of your electronic signature.
What makes an electronic signature valid?
As a legal online signing tool, CocoSign makes evidence of the signer's intent traceable. The Audit and Trail History function of CocoSign records every detail of the signing process which can fully demonstrate the signer’s intent.
How do I prove my electronic signature?
Use a digital certificate from a TSP to authenticate a signer's identity. The digital certificates prove signing by binding the digital certificate with signature to the encrypted document.