The Louisiana vehicle bill of sale is a key legal document required to substantiate the sale and purchase of a vehicle in the state of Louisiana. This bill of sale deed is to be completed at the time of trade as a requirement of State law.
How to Register a Vehicle in Louisiana?
You can drive your motor vehicle on Louisiana roadways once it's registered with the state. It is illegal to take the motor vehicle out on the roads without registration. Here is how you register your vehicle in the State of Louisiana:
Find Registration Location
Lookup online for the Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicle (OMV) nearest to your residence. There is no need for appointments. You can simply walk in with complete documentation to get the new vehicle registered under your name.
When to Register
The new owner should get a new vehicle registered within forty (40) days of purchase.
Documents Required to Register
The following documents are required for registration at the Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicle (OMV) in person:
- A completely filled Vehicle Application Form DPSMV 1799.
- Driver’s License.
- Bill of sale / invoice/ sale receipt.
- Certificate of the recent inspection.
- Car insurance confirmation, if not bought through the dealership.
- Receipts to prove payment for registration and title.
- If the model of your vehicle is less than 10 years old then an odometer disclosure statement is necessary for Miles.
- UCC-1 Financing Statement or Mortgage proof is a security agreement required if your vehicle is bought on financing from the bank.
- Vehicle’s existing registration and a title certificate signed by both the seller and the buyer.
- Sufficient funds to pay for all Registration and titling fees.
- There is a 4% tax imposed on the value of a motor vehicle to get it transferred under a new buyer’s name.
- If required by the municipality in which you live, you will be asked to pay local taxes in addition to the previously listed taxes.
What Is included in the Louisiana Vehicle Bill of Sale?
Louisiana vehicle bill of sale, aka Louisiana Bill of Sale of Movable, is a simpler and easier to comprehend document. It has fields marked to collect basic information about the parties involved and necessary information about the vehicle being sold.
The following information needs to be included in the Louisiana vehicle bill of sale:
Seller and Buyer Information
This section consists of following information about seller and buyer:
- Full Name
- Complete Address
- Driver’s License Number
Motor Vehicle Information
This section consists of following information about the motor vehicle:
- Model of the Vehicle
- The Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
- Vehicle’s Colour
- Odometer’s Reading at the time of sale.
Purchase Price in the Relevant Currency
This section includes the agreed purchase price of the vehicle in numbers and words.
Date of sale
Provide the agreed date of the sale in the format of 'MM/DD/YYYY'.
The official signatures required in this following order:
- The seller’s signature and printed name.
- The buyer’s signature and printed name.
- The witness signature and printed name.
Finally, the notary will proceed to affix the state seal in order to complete the registration.
How to Sell a Vehicle in Louisiana?
A few things need to be checked and reviewed to avoid any inconvenience throughout the selling process. Following are some of the guidelines that may help you ease through the system:
- Any collateral vehicle should not be sold. If there had been any liens in the past, the seller should acquire original release documents from the lien holder before selling the car.
- Fill out the title i.e. all the required fields. The title needs to be notarized as it won’t be accepted by the state otherwise. Please note that any overwriting, cutting, or white-outs on the title can render its status as null and void.
- Fill out the bill of sale of movable form.
- Renounce the vehicle’s license plate as the license plate cannot be transferred from seller to buyer. You can do this at your local office of motor vehicles.
- It is mandatory to appraise the Office of Motor vehicles of the sale concerned. It can be done by submitting an electronic notice to the Louisiana Department of Public Safety and Corrections.
- Save the photocopies of all the forms and relevant documents for keeping the records and for future use.
The locals of Louisiana are entitled to sell or buy any kind of vehicle. The vehicle should be under the owner’s name. The process mentioned above should be followed to legalize the sale and provide you with the rightful owner.
Seems like a hassle? Don’t worry CocoSign can help you buy or sell your vehicle. We provide a Louisiana vehicle bill of sale to complete registration documentation. Get your free copy today!
CocoSign represents a wide collection of legal templates covering all types of leases, contracts and agreements for personal and commercial use. All legal templates available on CocoSign shall not be considered as attorney-client advice. Meanwhile, CocoSign shall not be responsible for the examination or evaluation of reviews, recommendations, services, etc. posted by parties other than CocoSign itself on its platform.