The work for hire agreement is essential when striking a working deal between an employer and an employee.
Are you planning to hire someone to commission your work? Or are you in the talks of working under someone? In either case, you need to sign a work for hire agreement. It is an essential and obligatory proceeding.
What Is a Work for Hire Agreement?
A work for hire agreement is a signed document before a deal strikes between an individual and an independent contractor. It is supposed to be approved by both the parties before further proceedings resume.
The clauses are mutually agreed upon, and the agreement itself serves as a proof. With a work for hire agreement, there arises no breach of copyright or any other ownership related issues regarding the job done in the future.
There might be problems in the future without signing it. It may be that the person who had done the work can sell the work or publish it under another company, that is different from the one he previously worked.
The creator can do so because he owns autonomy over his creation. In such cases, the company might fall into trouble; work done for his own company has been sold to another. To avoid such plagiarism and complicated issues, a work for hire agreement shall be issued and signed at the beginning.
It ensures that the employer or the company that is hiring exercises all rights over the creator's content and has no ownership of their creation whatsoever. The agreement is mutual.
Why Needs a Work for Hire Agreement?
If you are an independent individual, planning to hire a temporary contractor for commissioning your work, you are obligated to draw and sign a work for hire agreement. Why do you need the deal? The work for hire agreement ensures copyright matters.
The agreement clearly states and establishes the clauses as to which of the two parties will own the copyright for the work commissioned and produced. It ensures that the company or the hiring individual owns all rights to the creation and has complete authority over it.
Who Needs a Work for Hire Agreement?
Signing a work for hire agreement does not necessarily imply that the employer owns the copyright of the entirety of the creator's work. The work, as done by an employee, falls under various categories. Only certain groups can be stated under the agreement.
To determine whether the work done by an employee should fall under the agreement, the three points should be considered:
- Whether the work falls under the employee's actual domain of work, or whether the employee did the kind of work for which he was hired.
- Whether the work was done during approved office hours.
- Whether the work that is done benefits and serves the company/employer.
The work for hire agreement can be drawn under the following circumstances:
Firstly, the employer will own copyrights to the content that is produced by independent freelancers. The agreement is drawn before the creation of content begins. The work that will be commissioned should fall under the specific nine work for hire categories.
Secondly, the content of the work created by an employee under an employer during their scope of employment can be considered under work for hire agreement. In such cases, the employing company takes ownership of all the work created by an employee.
The types of work areas mentioned below. The work, as stated below, would be considered to fall under the agreement.
- Contributory. If the content is a part of collections such as magazines, encyclopedias, anthologies, etc. These works are nothing but a combination of various independent artists' works.
- If the work is dedicated or is a portion of an audio or a visual piece.
- Translation related work
- Supplementary works that are created as a side-piece for primary tasks. These include forewords, afterwords, illustrations, contents, indexes, charts, appendices, etc. of a book.
- Instructional pieces and manuals
- A test
- Answer material for tests
The creators of these works shall not own copyright over their creation.
Benefits of Having a Work for Hire Agreement
The points stated below can be considered as benefits of a work for hire agreement.
- A work-for-hire agreement can help determine the company's status and suitability as per your requirements. You can evaluate how the company works and functions. The settlement also influences your decision on if you will be working for the company.
- When a company takes you on a work for hire agreement, you get in a position whereby you can negotiate for a higher stipend and employment benefits packages. You might not have gotten this advantage if you were a regular permanent employee.
- A work for hire agreement can also be an additional beneficial element when creating a resume. Having had associations with many companies and employers on a work-for-hire basis increases your field of experience and practical working.
- Working under various jobs to hire contractors and companies helps you gather experience and gain more knowledge about the field of work.
What Are Included in a Work for Hire Agreement?
Several clauses have been mentioned in the work for hire agreement. If you are confused regarding what to add while drawingone, you can refer to a work for hire agreement template available online. It consists of many sections.
- Details of parties
- The kind of service to be commissioned for
- Mention of compensations
- Details about ownership rights of the content created
- Term of agreement
- Confidentiality and privacy of the work done and the one who does it
- Termination of the agreement and reasons for the same
- Representation and warranties
- Limitation of Liability
- Legal fees and salary of the employee
- The agreement's governing laws and jurisdictions for the same
- Signature of both the parties
For further information, you can view more in a work for hire agreement template.
To wrap it up, this was all you needed to know about a work for hire agreement, how it works, and what are its essential clauses. Furthermore, if you need more information, you can refer to a work for hire template.
Cocosign offers several practical and beneficial work for hire agreement samples. Apart from those, we also have various sample agreements for services. Visit our official Cocosign website for more details.
CocoSign represents a wide collection of legal templates covering all types of leases, contracts and agreements for personal and commercial use. All legal templates available on CocoSign shall not be considered as attorney-client advice. Meanwhile, CocoSign shall not be responsible for the examination or evaluation of reviews, recommendations, services, etc. posted by parties other than CocoSign itself on its platform.