When a student applies for a scholarship, they need backup from their teachers or guidance counselors. The letter of recommendation for scholarship has a crucial role in the process; it is a testimony of the student’s qualities and is aimed at proving that they are worthy of the award.
The letter must underline the aspects that are relevant to the matter and present the achievements and traits of character that make the student the right choice for the scholarship. These letters are usually written by teachers, once they have found out what the unique requirements of that particular scholarship are.
What Is a Letter of Recommendation for Scholarship?
The scholarship recommendation letter is the teacher’s way of supporting their student in the challenging process of applying for a scholarship. It contains their recommendation as well as the list of qualities that made them write the letter in the first place.
The goal of the letter of recommendation for scholarship is to show not only that the student meets the basic demands of the scholarship program, but they stand out from other applicants.
For the recommendation letter for scholarship to be efficient, the author must first find out what the exact requirements are, to see which of the student’s qualities and achievements must be mentioned in the document for maximum positive impact.
They also need to have an extensive conversation with the student, so that they can find out all about their extra-curricular activities, interests, awards received, and any other aspect relevant to the scholarship.
Who Needs a Scholarship Recommendation Letter and Why?
Most scholarships require recommendation letters in the application process, as they are an excellent way of learning more about the applicant, from someone else’s perspective. Therefore, most students who are trying to be awarded a scholarship will need to reach their teachers to get recommendation letters.
The letter of recommendation for scholarship must be carefully drafted, keeping in mind what the scholarship is awarded for; it must be tailored to the specific situation. Scholarships can be awarded for anything from achievements and pursuing a particularly challenging field of study, to athletic performance or for students in need of financial assistance.
How to Write a Letter of Recommendation for Scholarship?
The letter of recommendation for scholarship is a straightforward document; it’s usually one page long and focused on the main positive aspects of the student’s academic activity. It should be about 500 words and have the following sections: a letterhead, an introduction, two body paragraphs, and a conclusion.
It’s easier to write it following a sample letter of recommendation for scholarships. These are the elements you need to make sure you include in your recommendation letter for scholarship:
- The date when you are writing the letter
- Your full name and title
- The school name and address
- Your contact information
- A brief introduction of the candidate, mentioning the scholarship they are applying for, as well as your relationship with the candidate
- Talk about how the candidate fulfills the requirements of the scholarship, referring to their grades, awards, activities, and overall approach to academic life.
- The Committee must be convinced that you understand what type of candidate they are looking for; that way, they will take your recommendation even more seriously
- Use clear examples to illustrate the positive aspects you describe, recollections of the times you noticed extraordinary involvement in school activities or creating solutions they found for the challenges they faced
- End with a short paragraph where you once again show your support for the student’s future in the academic life, summarizing the reasons why you offer your backup and mention that you are available to give extra information if necessary. Leave your phone number and email address for any follow-up questions.
- By the end, it must be crystal clear why you choose to endorse that particular student
Teachers have a huge role in the academic life of their students. Not only do they help them enrich their education, but they can also help worthy students be awarded a scholarship. They can endorse them by writing a letter of recommendation for scholarship.
It’s a simple but comprehensive document that summarizes the student’s main qualities and achievements to show that they deserve to be considered for the scholarship. Writing such a letter takes some research, excellent communication with the student, as well as a lot of dedication from the teacher.
And to make sure they write the best version of a scholarship recommendation letter, it’s best to use a template. Cocosign offers excellent recommendation letter templates, as well as any other type of template you may need. They are all easy to use and extremely efficient.
CocoSign represents a wide collection of legal templates covering all types of leases, contracts and agreements for personal and commercial use. All legal templates available on CocoSign shall not be considered as attorney-client advice. Meanwhile, CocoSign shall not be responsible for the examination or evaluation of reviews, recommendations, services, etc. posted by parties other than CocoSign itself on its platform.