Most employers request recommendation letters, especially if it’s a prominent position. Even if they don’t demand one, sending a job reference letter can genuinely help the applicant increase their chances of being hired. You can use a reference letter sample or a template if you’re not sure how to write it so that it can be as efficient as possible.
The job recommendation letter is a crucial element in the selection process, and it helps the employers select the most suitable candidate, by getting to know their qualities from the perspective of former employers or colleagues.
What Is a Job Recommendation Letter?
A job recommendation letter is a useful tool for employers to find the candidate that best suits their company’s needs. The résumé cannot always provide all the information they need, and it’s extremely helpful to know the opinion of people who have previously worked with the candidate.
Qualifications aren’t the only ones that matter, they will probably be interested in the way the applicant interacts with colleagues and clients, how they manage stressful situations, as well as other aspects connected to their character.
Employment letters of recommendation are meant to paint a vivid picture of the candidate’s behavior at the previous job, and of the abilities that they showed. It’s a brief presentation of the elements that make them an asset to other employers.
Who Needs a Job Recommendation Letter?
Anyone who is looking for a new job can benefit from a job reference letter. And in many cases, the employer requests them, to get a better image of the candidates. Whether it’s mandatory or not, a job recommendation letter is beneficial, if it’s well-written and sent at the right time.
Letting a potential employer know you are a hard worker who performed very well at their last jobs can only bring benefits. As for the person writing the recommendation letter for job, they must be chosen with care.
The employment letters of recommendation must come from trustworthy sources; that means that the author must have worked directly with the job applicant and that they were able to observe their performance and behavior closely.
It’s better to choose a superior colleague to write the letter, as the words of a person of authority weigh more in the eyes of a future employer. Before asking someone to provide a job recommendation letter, make sure they only have excellent things to share; otherwise, you can obtain the opposite effect and do more damage than good.
What Is Included in a Job Recommendation Letter?
The best way to make sure the job reference letter will be efficient is to provide the author with a lot of information on the job you are applying for. Give as many details as possible, so that they know what aspects to concentrate on.
As for the format, you can check a recommendation letter sample. You will see that it’s not a complicated document, but it is essential to keep a specific structure in mind. You need an introduction, two body paragraphs (or more, if necessary), and a conclusion.
The final document shouldn’t be longer than a page, so only focus on relevant information and make it reader-friendly. These are the main elements you must make sure to include in your job reference letter:
- Your name and job title, as well as the company you work for, and a brief description of the working relationship you had with the applicant.
- If you mention your qualifications, you can show them that you are in the right position to evaluate the applicant.
- Address the letter to a particular person, if you know their name, or use the general expression ‘To whom it may concern.’
- In the first paragraph, take the aspects you have briefly mentioned in the introduction and offer more details. Highlight the qualities and skills you think are relevant for the job they are applying for.
- The second paragraph must offer a more in-depth insight into the applicant’s work experience and professional behavior; this is where it helps to give clear examples to illustrate your statements.
- The conclusion must bring a summary of the way you view your former colleague, highlighting why you know they are a valuable asset to any serious company.
- End by offering your contact information and mention that you are available for any other questions they may have.
The recommendation letter for job can help an applicant stand out from the competition by showing their qualities and strengths from the point of view of a former supervisor. Since it can have a significant impact on their career, it’s not a document to be taken lightly.
The best way to write it is by following a reference letter sample and using an efficient template. You can try the job reference letter template from CocoSign. It’s incredibly efficient, just like all the other templates we offer.
CocoSign represents a wide collection of legal templates covering all types of leases, contracts and agreements for personal and commercial use. All legal templates available on CocoSign shall not be considered as attorney-client advice. Meanwhile, CocoSign shall not be responsible for the examination or evaluation of reviews, recommendations, services, etc. posted by parties other than CocoSign itself on its platform.