What Is The USCIS Form I-9?
The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services form I-9 is a crucial form for any individual looking to work in the United States of America. US employers fill the I-9 form if they wish to hire a non-US citizen for their company. It is a form that verifies the identity and legal authorization of all paid employees in the United States.
Why Is USCIS Form I-9 Important?
The I-9 form is important for all US and non-US citizens looking to be employed in the United States of America. All employees need to fill this form to qualify for work in the country.
According to the USCIS website, the I-9 form PDF requires the employees to present their employers with necessary documents that give proof of their identity and employment authorization. The employer then examines the employment eligibility and identity documents presented by the employee to see if he or she is genuine or not.
After these checks, the company records the documents and information into the Form I-9 for the designated period and makes it available to the government for inspection purposes.
Through this form, the employees have to declare that they fall into one of these categories:
- A US citizen
- A US non-citizen national
- A lawful permanent resident
- An alien authorized to work in the USA
The employees must have all their important documents in order before filing for this process. The USCIS has three lists, List A, B, and C, which clearly define the required documents needed for the I-9 fillable form.
- List A includes an individual’s US passport/ permanent resident card/ or an unexpired Employment Authorisation document given by the United States government.
- List B includes the individuals' identity information, such as a voter registration card, a school record, driver's license, or any other form of federal or state identification. This document has to reflect the person's name, date of birth, sex, height, eye color, and address.
- List C includes documents that establish the employment eligibility of the individual. This includes the person's original birth certificate/ certificate of US Citizenship/ Naturalisation/ US Citizen ID card/ ID card used by a resident citizen of the US or consular report of birth abroad.
When Is USCIS Form I-9 Used?
As mentioned above, the USCIS form I-9 is used when employers want to hire employees from within and outside the United States of America. This practice is especially prevalent in the IT and tech companies, which hire talent from overseas to work for them. The employer is responsible for the filling and submission of the form promptly to the respective government offices.
Thus, care must be taken that you file the Form securely and responsibly. To make this process easier, CocoSign provides you with a range of free form templates. Check them now and fill out the I-9 form online on the go.
CocoSign represents a wide collection of legal templates covering all types of leases, contracts and agreements for personal and commercial use. All legal templates available on CocoSign shall not be considered as attorney-client advice. Meanwhile, CocoSign shall not be responsible for the examination or evaluation of reviews, recommendations, services, etc. posted by parties other than CocoSign itself on its platform.